Monday, October 4, 2010

Desiring God Conference

I had the privilege of spending this past weekend in the beautiful Twin Cities for John Piper's Desiring God conference. This was my first time to Minneapolis and I must say that it is one of the best kept secrets of the United States. Everyone talks about New York City or Chicago or New Orleans or LA. Take a weekend and head to Minneapolis and St. Paul. Go hear Garrison Keillor. Walk along the river and you'll hear Target Field go nuts for the Twins. Talk to the locals-some of the most wholesome, sweet people you can meet. Minneapolis: you won't regret it. Not the most marketable slogan, but nonetheless it was just one of the most pleasant and nice cities I've ever been to. Kind of have a crush on Minneapolis now.


As great as Minneapolis was, the main attraction that brought me was the Desiring God conference hosted by John Piper. Three days of messages and discussion panels, it's mainly aimed at church staff but obviously they welcome all sorts of theology geeks such as myself.

There were several very inspiring speakers there including Kevin DeYoung, N.D. Wilson, Randy Alcorn and of course John Piper himself. But the message I would like to take a minute to reflect on was given by Francis Chan.

Francis Chan is mainly known for his book, Crazy Love. Our church read it together a few years ago and although it's a good book, Chan wasn't the pastor I was the most excited about hearing speak. I love being surprised like that.





Chan's topic was: "Think hard. Stay humble: A look at I Cor. 8:1-3". Solid reflection on how good theology isn't the most important thing to God-"knowledge is essential but it is not sufficient." John MacArthur. Or, to have it paraphrased by Chan: "some of you are brilliant but completely worthless".  Are we using our knowledge to build each other up or puff ourselves up?

He then asked how hard we think about the lost. Do we pray for God to save the lost? Are we burdened for those who don't know Jesus? The prayers of a righteous man are effective-are we purging sin from our lives so that we may be righteous? So that we can intercede for the lost effectively? "This,'' Chan says,"is love".

He talked about how Paul was in anguish for the lost. It hurt him so much to know that people, people he knew, were without Christ. I know that I do not have this anguish. Would I say it was sad? Absolutely. Do I step outside my own selfishness to pray for the lost with conviction? Shamefully, no, I don't.

This is a rabbit trail, but I think it overlaps a bit. Kevin DeYoung spoke about the mission of the church, or rather 'redefining missional'. Awesome speaker. Definitely someone who isn't afraid to think critically. If you get a chance,read his stuff.

He spoke about the mission of the church and he said something I'd like to start wrapping up with:

"Don't just gravitate to the things the world will thank you for such as human trafficking, digging wells, going green, etc. There are enough Angelina Jolies of the world to take care of that. Our responsibility as a church, as Christians is something no one else will do: give them Jesus. There is something worse than disease, than death. There's hell."
Kevin DeYoung, 2 October 2010

And yes, I know that Ashraya Mission is fighting human trafficking. But I hope that we're more than just fighting for social justice. I hope that we're loving our neighbors in India. I hope that we're giving them Jesus. And I hope that we can become so burdened for the lost in India, or Africa, or Minneapolis or wherever that we are praying for them constantly. And loving them well.

Blessings,

KB

P.S. Listen to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" tonight with the windows open. Perfect song for a cool fall evening. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...